Translate

Translate

Sunday 1 September 2013

Why I am a Rotarian






The first quote I heard about Rotary International, was by management guru Late Sharu Rangnekar. He used to say “Those who can’t become Presidents in their company, become Presidents of Rotary Club”. So you can imagine my reaction as a senior executive in a large corporate, when a visitor would present me a visiting card with his designation in a Rotary Club on it. I used to say to myself, “Oh no, not one more of those small timers with big ideas about himself”.

But destiny ruled otherwise. I had to shift to Thane a few years back and didn't know a soul in the city except one couple who happened to be Rotarians. When I said I was worried about not having any friends in this new place, they said, “Rajeev don’t worry, just join my Rotary Club and you will have a great time in Thane”. And boy did I have a good time! From the day I started attending weekly meetings of the club as a prospective member, the who’s who of Thane would introduce themselves to me and would invite me to dinners & get-togethers. I would also get to hear some eminent speaker every Tuesday evening. But after a few months, the novelty wore off and I started losing interest. Then suddenly one day, the President Elect called me and asked me if I would like to join his Board of Directors. When I asked him what that meant, he said don’t worry we will guide you. And guide they did. As a Pulse Polio Chairman, I was taken around 35-40 centres in Mumbra & Kalwa and I learnt how dedicated Rotarians and Municipal employees were Making a Difference. This opened my eyes to a totally new aspect of Rotary. I realized Rotary is not just wining and dining but lot of solid work for the community. As I handled various other portfolios in subsequent years, I realized what a great institution Rotary is. The theme I liked was, “Fellowship for Service”.

Since I have spent my career in a hierarchical corporate world, what I enjoy in Rotary is the challenge of getting volunteers to work as team without any authority over them. I am highly impressed by the amazing organizational structure, succession planning and strategic vision, where at the stroke of midnight of every June 30th, the entire organization from top to bottom changes but the institutional values, strategic aims & objectives remain the same.

I am proud to belong to an International community which gives me the privilege of entering into any Rotary meeting anywhere in the world and of being accepted there as one of them. As a Rotarian, I get credit for any good work done by any club anywhere in the world.


Rotary gave a higher aim to my life which was caught up in busy corporate life with its politics, pettiness and greed. It gave me relief from frustration at the corruption and wrongdoings in the society around us. But best of all it gave me hope for the humankind. 

Thank you Rotary.

6 comments:

  1. Rajeev

    The opening statement says volumes about what many professionals perceive Rotary's image.

    Fellowship is service and results in more service. When two ideas come together, they spawn more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rajiv,

    Story is same here. In 1992 when I shifted to Kalyan, I was not knowing anyone other than Rtn Jitu, who introduced me to Rotary Club of Kalyan. I left Rotary in 2000 due to work load. But as you said it correctly "I realized Rotary is not just wining and dining but lot of solid work for the community". In 2005 flood my home was entirely submurged, but when I learnt that in remote locations people were homeless after flood. I decided to join once again.
    Today I proudly say 'Proud to be a Rotarian'

    Enjoy Rotary!

    Dinesh Pandya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why am I still a Rotarian for 22 years,because of the opportunity to be of service,to mankind,and to be a leader. Every year I attend the RI Convention I make more friends,in other parts of the world,which helps me to do International service.

      Delete
  4. If you are service minded, then Rotary provides you the reach and resources (financial, people, geographical) as few organisations can. And these are there for you to use depending on your initiative, persuasiveness and the worthiness of your cause. Rotary also has a very clean image as not many NGOs can boast of and so outsiders are not hesitant in supporting Rotary sponsored activities.
    Greed is ruled out but I am not so sure if Rotary is free of politics and pettiness.



    ReplyDelete